Marathon Game Not Kind to Women’s Lacrosse

Marathon Game Not Kind to Women’s Lacrosse

Box Score

OWINGS MILLS, Md. – The first overtime game since 2008 did not end on a winning note for the Susquehanna women’s lacrosse team as the Crusaders fell 18-17 to SUNY Brockport on the second and final day of the Stevenson Invitational.

Annie McElaney (Natick, Mass./Natick) tied the game at 17 with 5:05 to play in overtime but Brockport’s Nina Tassone scored the go-ahead goal with 41 seconds to go which proved to be the game-winning score.

The teams combined for 74 shots, 35 goals and 21 saves in the 66 minutes of play. McElaney tied for the game-high with seven goals while also adding two assists. Emma Ehler (Chatham, N.J./Chatham) tallied five goals and five draw control wins while Michelle McGinniss (Randolph, N.J./Randolph) had three goals and a game-best 10 draw control wins. She also forced four Brockport turnovers.

Goalie Abby Cohn (Branchburg, N.J./Somerville) got the start and had two saves and allowed nine goals in her 24 minutes of play. Katelyn Brower (North Caldwell, N.J./West Essex) played the final 42 minutes and gave up nine goals while making seven stops.

Much like Saturday’s game, the Crusaders fell into an early hole, trailing 4-1 after just seven minutes of action. Susquehanna strung together three-straight goals, though, to tie it at four on an unassisted score from Ehler with 21:19 to play in the half.

Back-to-back goals from McElaney gave SU its first lead of the game, 6-5, and she kept the team ahead by two (8-6) with a goal at the 10:29 mark of the half.

Brockport, however, tied it at eight, and the teams swapped goals over the final 10 minutes of play in the half before McGinniss made it 11-10 in favor of Susquehanna on a goal with 1:26 left in the period which remained the score at halftime.

The teams simply traded goals for the entire second half with neither squad taking more than a one-goal lead until Brockport’s Makensie Schuber put her team ahead 16-14 with a goal at the 5:26 mark. The Crusaders capped off regulation with back-to-back goals from Ehler and McElaney, though, to knot it at 16 and force overtime.

Both teams scored within a 13-second span for a 17-17 game before Tassone scored with just 41 seconds left to clinch the win for Brockport.

Susquehanna next travels to Washington College on March 7 for a 4 p.m. game.